Monday, June 17, 2013

Urban Decay | Naked Skin Beauty Balm

It's Monday again, boo! By the time this post goes up I'm probably already taking on the role of Consuela from Family Guy and cleaning my house from top to bottom. Anyway, I hope you guy's enjoyed last week's "hair" themed posts because this week is going to be all about some of my "face/base" products and tools! Oh yeah, this is the week you get my long awaited Beauty Blender review (has it been long awaited? I feel like I'm the only one awaiting it, haha) You can expect to hear about some great products this week. Then at the end of the week I'll be putting up my current foundation routine for the summer! You'll be able to see these products in action! :) So ... on to the post!

Now that the hype of these Urban Decay Naked products has died down I thought I'd be "that" person and bring it back! If you're in the market for a "typical" BB Cream that's a tinted moisturizer with a bit more coverage, then Urban Decay's Naked Skin Beauty Balm won't be for you. BUT if you're looking for an optical blurring, fantabulous primer with SPF, than you've found your match. This product isn't your typical BB cream and it doesn't claim to be one, either. It doesn't give any coverage, at all. If anyone's ever said this covers any blemishes they'd be lying (or maybe not, maybe it did for you ... don't shoot!) What it does do is create this nice blurring effect on your face that is easier shown than explained. Imagine you took a portrait of yourself, put it up on a photo editing site, took the blur tool, and ran it across your face. That's the effect you get with this BB. It blurs any minor imperfections such as lines and pores so that, assuming you're not examining your face in 10x zoom mirror, you don't notice them.

The consistency makes me think that if Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation texture and Benefit's POREfessional primer texture had a baby, you would get the texture of this Beauty Balm. It's liquidy, but isn't runny, if that makes any sense? As you can see from the swatch below the Naked Skin BB is of the orange-tint persuasion which, when I got this in a sample, scared me! I was afraid it'd just tint my pale face orange and I wasn't auditioning for the reprise of The Jersey Shore anytime soon! It blends easily into the skin and then practically disappears. Now if it wasn't obvious, I don't particularly use this like I would my Dr. Jart++ Waterfuse Beauty Balm. Like I said, it doesn't give any coverage, but what it does do is make a great primer! It smoothes out your skin so when you go to apply your foundation it applies evenly and doesn't stick to dry patches as much! 

I do have to mention that it has a scent, which I don't mind and quite like, but I know some people may be put off by it - it's a bit minty. Also, if you've just gone on holiday and couldn't help but burn your face, I'd stay away from this for a while. It likes to cling to the dead skin that starts to peel as the burn heels and literally roll with it. While you blend this on a heeling burn you'll see bits of skin rolling off your fingers and it's ... it's not beautiful, haha. I'm not saying this to put you off from the product, as I absolutely love using it, but more as a word of caution! 

There are two reasons why I've been loving using this especially now in the warmer months, as well as to reasons why I essentially think you'll love this stuff. Numero uno - It's got SPF 20! Won't be great for taking pictures on night's out but if you're like me and forget to put SPF on your face, you'll be set because it'll be in your primer! This came in really handy when I spent the day in Six Flags on Saturday! It was a beautiful sunny day but I had no sun screen, at all, anywhere! I was glad there was some in my make up because if I didn't, I'd have pretty red face right now, haha. Numero dos - If you're having a particularly, what I like to call, "lazy make up day" and you're not going anywhere too crazy, a bit of this on your face and some powder on top, you're pretty much set for a "your face but better look" Does that make sense? Boy, I hope so! 
What do you think of Naked Skin Beauty Balm? Have you tried it? What are you favorite BB Creams?

Holy cannoli, sorry that post was so long!

12 comments:

  1. I love this product, it's an amazing primer! I actually really like the scent as well, smells very fresh :) Lovely review Jess xx

    belle-amiebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a very fresh scent, isn't it? I sat there with the tube up my nose for such a long time trying to figure out what it smelt of, haha! Thanks Amie! xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried this. My favorite BB cream is Skin79's Gold one. This seems really good, especially for a primer. I like that it didn't really turn your hand orange. It just left a nice little glow. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SOOOO want to try Skin79. I think I need to get it and soon! It's really great for a primer, and thank goodness gracious it didn't turn me orange! Otherwise it would have been a big thumbs down!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, it really does blur your skin!! You captured it perfectly in the hand photos Jess :) I need quite a bit of coverage so this definitely isn't for me but it looks like a lovely little product for people with minor imperfections (lucky ducks...)! And by the way your Beauty Blender review is TOTALLY anticipated; I'm excited to read all about it so no worries ;)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm so glad you were able to see that cause it sort of looks like my hand just without the dollop of BB! Yeah, def no coverage so if you ned a bit more this won't cut it. :/ YAY! It'll be here soon, mwahaha! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for being honest about the coverage. This probably won't work for me if it doesn't give any coverage! I would have been so bummed if I had really bought it (which I was planning on)! You just saved me a lot of money!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    xoxo,
    The-lipglossary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh def.! If I didn't say it, the proof is in the pudding (or in this case the swatch, haha) You're most certainly welcome! That's why I do these reviews, so if it's not for you, you save your self some buckeroos and spend it on something else ;)

      Delete
  5. I have to agree that I love this! I only have the sample, but I really want the full sized one. I get a little coverage from it, but I mostly get the blurring effect, like you talked about! LOVE it!!

    xo aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I squeezed out every last morsel in that baby-sample! I LOVE that blurring effect, it's amazing how your eye catches it. So awesome! :) xx

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried this yet! However I have received a sample from a co-worker as I work on the benefit counter next to Urban Decay. I swatched it on the day it was released and was automatically put off by the minty the smell! It stung a little too! >.<

    Might work for me though! Will try it on my face and hope nothing happens! lol

    Great review :)

    withloveploy.blogspot.com

    ploy <3 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT STING YOUR HAND? Oh my lanta, I love this stuff but if it stung your hand maybe try a bit on your face, walk around for a minute and then see. If it stings your face it won't be pretty :O If all is okay with the stinging, don't let the smell completely put you off because it disappears in seconds! Let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I do read and respond to most comments when I can, but please refrain from spam (follow for follows, giveaways, ads, so and so forth) xx :)